CREATING NEW GARDEN AREAS
There are two choices: Sheet Mulching or Removing Turf (by hand or with a sod cutter).
Sheet Mulching Steps: (best done the previous season, but can be planted immediately by cutting through the underlaying turf layer).
- Cut turf with a mower -as low as possible
- Cut around the edges of the garden area (3″ or 10cm) – and remove a narrow strip of sod (approx. 3″ or 10cm). If you’re garden is going to be next to a hard surface (ie. a sidewalk) – remove a couple inches of soil as well so that mulch doesn’t shift over to the walkway.
- Water the turf with a hose/sprinkler
- Lay the carboard or newspaper (carbon) – being sure to overlap the edged so no turf shows through. If you use boxes, be sure they are not waxed and if using newspapers, do not use shiny/glossy print materials.
- Water the cardboard-newspaper
- Add the mulch – (arborists are a great economical source for hardwood chips)
- Continue to add other organic material – fallen leaves, grass clippings
Removing Turf by Hand or Rental of a Sod Cutter This is quite do-able using the methods in the video above. If you have a large area such as a whole front yard, it’s best to rent a sod cutter. Once cleared of turn, just loosen the soil lightly. You may also choose to add some triple mix, purchased from a garden materials supplier.